Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment (CTS) Pain Relief Techniques
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen and other non-prescription pain relievers, may temporarily ease symptoms that have been present for a short time.
- Orally administered diuretics (water pills) can decrease swelling.
- Corticosteroids (prednisone) or the drug lidocaine can be injected directly into the wrist or taken by mouth to relieve pressure on the median nerve and provide immediate temporary relief to mild or intermittent symptoms.
- Steroid injections can cause permanent injury to the nerve if the needle is accidentally placed in the nerve.
- Steroids of any kind should not be taken without a doctor’s prescription. People with diabetes or those who may be predisposed to diabetes should note that use of corticosteroids could make it difficult to regulate insulin levels.
Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Although symptoms may be relieved immediately after surgery, full recovery from carpal tunnel surgery can take months. Some patients may have infection, nerve damage, stiffness, and pain at the scar. Occasionally the wrist loses strength because the carpal ligament is cut. Physical therapy following surgery will help restore wrist strength. It is also suggested that some patients change or adjust jobs after recovery from surgery.
Alternative Therapies for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
Acupuncture, chiropractic care, yoga, stretching and strengthening exercises can be helpful to people with carpal tunnel syndrome.
The Rhythm Touch 2-Way Electrical Muscle Stimulator is affective in relieving pain. This may be associated with carpal tunnel Syndrome. By stimulating the muscles, increasing the circulation, and removing blockage the swelling that squeezes the carpal tunnel subsides. The muscle stimulation also increases the strength and reduces the possibility of muscle loss, especially in the base of the thumb.
By increasing the circulation in the area where the pads are placed, it helps restore the electrical balance of the area and draws blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the area.
The Rhythm Touch is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease
and/or any other medical condition.